S Sapwood | Satin | Saxony_carpet | Saxony_Carpet | Saxony_Carpet | Sculptured_Carpet | Sculptured_carpet | Sculptured_Carpet | Seam_Sealer | Shag_Carpet | Shag_Pile | Simulated_Appliance_Foot-Drag_Test | Sisal_Flooring | Sisal_Flooring | Sisal_flooring | Slate | Slate | Slate | Slip_Tongue | Softwood | Soil_retardant | Soil_Retardant | Solid_Vinyl_Flooring | Spacers | Square_Edge | Square_Nose | Stain_Resistant | Stain_Retardant | Standard_Instillation_System | Static_Control_Floor_Finish | Static_Control_Floor_Mat | Static_Control_Floor_Material | Static_Control_Flooring | Static_control_footwear_(shoes) | Static_Decay_Test | Static_Dissipative | Static_Dissipative_flooring | Static_Electricity | Static-Resistant_Resilient_Flooring | StaticSmart_FiberLink | Stretch | Stretch | Strip | Strip_Flooring | Strip_flooring | Strip_Flooring | Sub_Floor | Subfloor | Surface_Resistance | Surface_Resistivity |
1. Sapwood:The lighter color wood near the outside of the tree.
Submitted on Wednesday, June 15, 2016 11:10:17 AM
A soft-sheen finish.
Submitted on Monday, August 17, 2015 11:10:17 AM
3. Saxony carpet-Cut-pile carpet, similar to shag, but with individual tufts much more closely packed. Smoother finished saxonies are called "plushes."
Submitted on Monday, March 14, 2016 11:10:17 AM
4. Saxony Carpet
Definition:A dense, cut-pile carpet with well-defined individual tuft tips. Called "plushes" when it has a smooth finish.
Submitted on Saturday, June 11, 2016 11:10:17 AM
5. Saxony Carpet:Cut-pile carpet in a relatively dense construction, with well-defined individual tuft tips. Smoother finished saxonies are called "plushes."
Submitted on Sunday, January 31, 2016 11:10:17 AM
6. Sculptured Carpet:-Any carpet pattern where varying pile lengths create a pattern.
Submitted on Sunday, May 24, 2015 11:10:17 AM
7. Sculptured carpet
Definition:Any carpet pattern formed from high and low pile areas, such as high-low loop or cut-and-loop.
Submitted on Monday, February 08, 2016 11:10:17 AM
8. Sculptured Carpet:Any carpet pattern form from high and low pile areas, such as high-low or cut-and-loop.
Submitted on Monday, March 16, 2015 11:10:17 AM
9. Seam Sealer-A liquid compound used to fuse vinyl flooring edges together.
Submitted on Thursday, December 25, 2014 11:10:17 AM
10. Shag Carpet:
A deep-pile carpet popular in the 1970s. It has long-cut surface yarns.
Submitted on Friday, February 27, 2015 11:10:17 AM
11. Shag Pile:Today's shag is available in heavyweight yarn tufts that are cut and distinct from each other.
Submitted on Monday, September 26, 2016 11:10:17 AM
12. -A test used to measure a vinyl floor's resistance to tears, gouges and rips. In the test, an appliance-type foot is dragged across the surface with various weights.
Submitted on Wednesday, December 23, 2015 11:10:17 AM
13. Sisal Flooring
Rugs, mats and matting made from sisal, a natural plant material. Available woven and dyed in various colors, as well as machine and hand painted. Similar flooring is made of jute, coconut and seagrass.
Submitted on Monday, August 15, 2016 11:10:17 AM
14. Sisal Flooring:Rugs or mats made from sisal, a natural plant material.
Submitted on Wednesday, December 03, 2014 11:10:17 AM
15. Sisal flooring:-Matting made from sisal, an natural plant from India. Sisal fibers are woven and sometimes colored or painted.
Submitted on Tuesday, August 19, 2014 11:10:17 AM
A rock used for flooring (often outside). It is embedded in cement or mortar to create a pattern floor.
Submitted on Friday, September 26, 2014 11:10:17 AM
17. Slate:A naturally laminated stone pieces or tiles that are set in mortar or cement resulting in a interesting natural pattern.
Submitted on Thursday, July 09, 2015 11:10:17 AM
18. Slate:-A naturally laminated rock that is often used in regular and irregular shapes embedded in cement or mortar to create a hard-surface, pattern floor.
Submitted on Tuesday, September 09, 2014 11:10:17 AM
19. Slip Tongue-A small strip of wood or metal used to change direction when installing tongue and groove flooring.
Submitted on Tuesday, April 07, 2015 11:10:17 AM
Definition:Lumber produced from needle and/or cone bearing trees (Conifers). Has nothing to do with the hardness or softness of the wood.
Submitted on Sunday, July 05, 2015 11:10:17 AM
21. Soil retardant:A chemical applied to carpet and fabric surfaces which inhibits attachment of soil to fiber.
Submitted on Monday, February 23, 2015 11:10:17 AM
22. Soil Retardant:
A chemical finish applied to carpet and fabric surfaces which inhibits attachment of soil to fiber. It is usually a topical treatment but may also be inherent in the fiber.
Submitted on Sunday, June 15, 2014 11:10:17 AM
23. Solid Vinyl Flooring:-This smooth-surface plastic floor is a mixture of vinyl resins, plasticizer, fillers and stabilizers with color added throughout the product. Produced in either square tiles or sheet goods.
Submitted on Tuesday, March 03, 2015 11:10:17 AM
Small pieces of wood used to temporarily create a space during installation.
Submitted on Tuesday, April 12, 2016 11:10:17 AM
25. Square Edge
The simple flooring system where squared planks are nailed to a subfloor or underlayment.
Submitted on Friday, October 14, 2016 11:10:17 AM
26. Square Nose:A moulding constructed of wood or polymer, used to trim floating floors along walls around the perimeter of a room.
Submitted on Saturday, March 22, 2014 11:10:17 AM
27. Stain Resistant:A chemical finish applied to or inherent in carpet fibers which inhibit specific stains from adhering to or dying (staining) carpet and fabrics.
Submitted on Tuesday, October 20, 2015 11:10:17 AM
28. Stain Retardant-A chemical finish used to keep carpet or fabric surfaces clean. Can be applied at the factory or at home.
Submitted on Thursday, January 15, 2015 11:10:17 AM
29. Standard Instillation System
The installation process where you place continuous beads of glue on top of the tongue and on the bottom of the groove to adjoin flooring planks.
Submitted on Monday, September 07, 2015 11:10:17 AM
30. Static Control Floor Finish
Definition:A non-permanent coating periodically applied to existing floor surfaces that dissipates static charges by grounding personnel, equipment, or other objects contacting the floor finish or that controls the generation and accumulation of static charges associated with floor materials.
Submitted on Thursday, September 22, 2016 11:10:17 AM
31. Static Control Floor Mat:-A movable island of material placed over existing flooring that dissipates static charges by grounding personnel, equipment, or other objects contacting the floor material or that controls the generation and accumulation of static charges associated with the material.
Submitted on Tuesday, June 07, 2016 11:10:17 AM
32. Static Control Floor Material:
A permanently installed floor material such as tile, carpet,, polymer, epoxy or sheet flooring that dissipates static charges by grounding personnel, equipment, or other objects contacting the floor material or that controls the generation and accumulation of static charges associated with floor materials.
Submitted on Saturday, October 24, 2015 11:10:17 AM
33. Static Control Flooring:A generic term used to describe any form of flooring that is designed to reduce static electricity on people. Static control flooring is available in numerous forms including
Submitted on Friday, August 01, 2014 11:10:17 AM
34. :-Covering for the human foot that have properties to control the accumulation of static charge when used in conjunction with a static control floor or floor finish, or floor mat.
Submitted on Wednesday, June 29, 2016 11:10:17 AM
35. Static Decay Test
A procedure in which an item is first charged to a specified voltage, then allowed to dissipate to a specified voltage while measuring the duration of the discharge.
Submitted on Wednesday, May 04, 2016 11:10:17 AM
36. Static Dissipative:
Refers to the ability of a material to conduct a charge to ground and is usually indicated by an electrical resistance range measured in ohms of a minimum of 1.0x 106, to a maximum of 1.0 x 109.
Submitted on Monday, July 28, 2014 11:10:17 AM
37. Static Dissipative flooring
Definition:Static dissipative floors are defined by a property called electrical resistance. Electrical resistance is measured in ohms. The important parameter for describing a floor is the static control flooring resistance to ground or path to ground. In order to meet the qualification of static dissipative, a floor must have an electrical resistance to ground of = 1 X 106 (one million ohms) AND < 1 X 109. Static dissipative should never be confused with the terms Conductive or Antistatic (sometimes hyphenated as anti-static). Note
Submitted on Tuesday, March 22, 2016 11:10:17 AM
38. Static Electricity-Literally "electricity at rest." Static electricity is the stored energy that becomes dangerous when it becomes an ESD event. Static electricity is the result of the exchange of electrons that occurs during friction between objects. This friction causes the ESD event, which can disrupt production, cause fires, damage computers and sensitive electronic components, cause computers and other electronic equipment to malfunction and lose important data.
Submitted on Monday, April 04, 2016 11:10:17 AM
39. Static-Resistant Resilient Flooring:
Having antistatic (anti-static) properties. Any resilient flooring material such as rubber or vinyl that will not generate excessive quantities of static electricity. Describing a flooring material as static resistant, does not mean that the material can also ground or discharge static electricity. A static resistant material may lack conductive properties necessary for grounding of static charges. The ideal static control material should be both conductive and antistatic.
Submitted on Wednesday, March 26, 2014 11:10:17 AM
40. StaticSmart FiberLink
This is a unique conductive monofilament spun within the yarn bundle. Is is used to achieve conductive contact points on the surface of the carpet.
Submitted on Wednesday, May 06, 2015 11:10:17 AM
A carpet installation term for the give in carpet when it is pulled over pad onto tackless strips.
Submitted on Saturday, November 07, 2015 11:10:17 AM
42. Stretch:Amount of elongation of carpet when it is pulled over pad onto tackless strips during installation
Submitted on Sunday, January 10, 2016 11:10:17 AM
43. Strip:Boards that are smaller than three inches in width.
Submitted on Wednesday, November 12, 2014 11:10:17 AM
44. Strip Flooring:The most popular wood flooring, it is made of long, narrow - about 3 inches wide - tongue - and - groove boards that are end-matched. Strip flooring wider than 3 inches is called plank flooring.
Submitted on Saturday, September 03, 2016 11:10:17 AM
45. Strip flooring
Definition:The most popular wood flooring, it is made of long, narrow -- about 3 inches wide -- tongue-and-groove boards that are end-matched. Strip flooring wider than 3 inches is referred to as plank flooring.
Submitted on Wednesday, July 30, 2014 11:10:17 AM
46. Strip Flooring
The most popular wood flooring. It is made from narrow tongue and groove strips, glued together.
Submitted on Saturday, August 15, 2015 11:10:17 AM
47. Sub Floor:-The structural layer that hold the flooring system. The floor can be laid directly on the sub floor (below grade) or can be elevated (above grade.)
Submitted on Thursday, April 30, 2015 11:10:17 AM
A pre-existing structural supporting surface, such as plywood, waferboard or concrete.
Submitted on Monday, September 15, 2014 11:10:17 AM
49. Surface Resistance
Definition:The ratio of DC voltage to the current flowing between two electrodes of specified configuration that contact the same side of a material. This measurement is expressed in ohms.
Submitted on Sunday, March 20, 2016 11:10:17 AM
50. Surface Resistivity:-For electric current flowing across a surface, the ratio of DC voltage drop per unit length to the surface current per unit width. In effect, the surface resistivity is the resistance between two opposite sides of a square and is independent of the size of the square or its dimensional units. Surface resistivity is expressed in ohms/square.
Submitted on Thursday, May 21, 2015 11:10:17 AM
Go Top | Glossary